Thursday, March 20, 2014

I'm Learning Lots

So I have not said a lot on here about my Practicum. About 5 weeks ago I started at Lighthouse Minitsites as an intern/practicum student under the women's counselor at the facility. I am absolutely LOVING what I am doing and I have been learning so much while I have been there. I do not have a lot of experience working with adults, I work primarily with children, so it has really been a learning experience for me to be working with the women.

This is a typical outfit for me, minus the jeans most of the time.  And I am almost always overdressed.
Just a little background on Lighthouse. Lighthouse Ministries was actually co-founded by my Grandfather. So I had a little bit of a connection to the place. I totally believe it was a God thing that I found this out and was able to get on site there. Lighthouse ministers to the homeless. It is a residential facility that enforces a program to help the residents get back on their feet, earn money, and make a plan for what to do when they exit the program. 

Many of the women I work with have had some kind of abuse. For many it is substance abuse of all kinds, sexual abuse, or physical/emotional abuse. I also work with the children of these women in a group setting.  Many of the children have been removed from their mom at some point in time but are back with them now. 

I am learning that adults have a much bigger past than children (no duh Mosby!!). Because of this I find adults to be a little more difficult to work with. There is so much to take into consideration when the client presents a problem. I really struggled with this the first couple of weeks I was on site. I just had a hard time adjusting to being around adults. 

One of the reasons I struggled so much was because the women intimidated me SO much! I was nervous around them, didn't want to speak up in group sessions, and I was worried they were judging me and my skills as a counselor (which are not many at this point in time). It takes me a while to warm up to people and feel comfortable. 5 weeks later I am SO much more comfortable with the women. I am loving getting to know them and sharing what little I can with them. 

I also kept comparing the women to working with children. Children have my heart and always will. I know I am meant to work with them and will do whatever it takes to get there. I have a group of three boys I work with. We do a lot of play therapy and are working on talking about feelings. I love their energy and being with them. 

Overall, I know I am in the right place for me. I am learning so at any new techniques for working with both women and children. The counselor I am working with has done such an amazing job teaching and getting my input from sessions. She has taught me how things work and is so open to me asking 453628 questions. I just love it. 

Now I am praying for an internship. Maybe I will stay at Lighthouse maybe I will need to go. I know God has an awesome plan for me and I cannot wait to see it play out!
Signature

1 comment:

Miss Riss said...

So glad to hear this is going so well for you! I know you are a fantastic counselor!!